Friday, May 6, 2011

Reset

It's safe to say this week didn't go as I had initially planned. The ironic thing is that for the first time in a long time, I had made a schedule for myself. Like a serious one with timing and everything. It was a thing of beauty, balancing lunch plans and yoga classes, photo shoots and dog grooming, errands and editing. For once, it looked like I was going to get it all done. But you know what they say about God laughing when we make plans. My kick-butt list went straight out the window the minute I took my first bite of ill-fated gyros on Saturday night. After two days of sickness, I spent another three in a rotten mood. I was overwhelmed, trying to cram a week's worth of stuff into just a few short days, and still more than a little freaked out by the nastiness of my first food poisoning extravaganza. I have a crappy habit of always fixating on the not-so-perfect stuff that's going on in my life. It's a trait that drives both my Mom and husband crazy. If one bad thing happens, everything is ruined. That's me...always throwing the baby out with the bath water and crying over spilled milk.

This morning, I found myself in The Loop for a few business errands. As I was stopped at a crosswalk, it hit me out of nowhere how beautiful the city looked. And just like that, I was caught up in the vibrant colors of the skyscrapers, the business people bustling around with their coffees and Spring clothes, the honking and the music and the talking and laughing and the shoes clicking on the pavement. I started to appreciate how nice the warm sun felt and popped on my sunglasses. The more I walked, the luckier I felt to be there...to be a part of it all. It's the feeling every Chicagoan gets at the start of spring. God, I love this place. It's what makes all of the not-so-perfect stuff worth it. Just the reset I needed.

Gold stars in this big old black dot week go to:

*The couple who pukes together...: Mike and I are always complaining about not having enough quality time together...but being laid up for two days unable to muster the energy move more than the distance from the bed to our bathroom wasn't exactly what we had in mind. Still, we managed to laugh about some of it and our marriage is definitely stronger for having gone through that experience together!

*Carbing out: Drs. orders, I just HAD to eat a ton of bread this week to give my stomach a chance to settle. I figure after what we went through Sunday and Monday, why not enjoy every bite of a fresh French loaf. And pasta. And crackers. Today, it's back to dieting...but man, it was good while it lasted!

*My Medge: The nickname was started while vacationing in France almost 10 years ago. I'm not even going to get into how exactly it started because that's something only my own dear, twisted family would classify as logical. But despite the origin, the nickname has stuck for my Mom. It's our own version of "Marmee," spoken with love and respect and the intimacy only a family of crazy people with strange humor can muster. The funny thing is that it totally fits her, and I almost can't remember a time when we didn't call her Da Medgere! I can't wait for the day that Medge and I live close enough that I can take her out for manicures and lunch to celebrate Mother's Day. Thanks for all of the advice and support over the past week, Medge! I don't know what I'd do without you. Have a fantastic day on Sunday.


1 comment:

Medge said...

Aw! Thanks, Honey!

Medge