Friday, June 3, 2011

Summertime

We were sitting outside at Old Orchard in our cotton sundresses, sipping Italian sodas and strategizing about how to best take advantage of the post Memorial Day sales when it suddenly hit us. My friend Neda looked at me and said, "Now it really feels like summer." It was the perfect way to celebrate the sunny, warm weather that was finally upon us, to get excited about the summer trips and plans that stretched before us and, maybe most importantly, to mark the end of our husbands' three-year MBA experience. I mean, we don't receive tandem diplomas, "good sport" awards or a even a pat on the back for three grueling years of stress and miserable schedules. So, in the very least, we deserved a relaxed afternoon of shopping!

Gold Stars this week go to:
*There's no place like HomeGoods: There's something magical about the Glenview store. Not all HomeGoods are created equal, but every time Neda and I step inside this one, it's retail therapy at its best. As always, it was such a good time, Neda! Much to Mike and Kevin's chagrin, we will have to do it again soon.

*Books. Real ones: Stop making fun of me, Kindle commercials! Yes, I am that girl who prefers paperbacks to electronic tablets. (Although I wouldn't be caught dead folding page corners to keep my place. Um, they're called bookmarks. I'm not a Neanderthal, after all). I understand the merits of a Kindle...but personally will never be swayed to make the switch. (Especially not after being totally offended by these stupid commercials!) There's something special to me about finishing a book and then displaying it proudly on my prized bookshelves. And it's still a life dream of mine to have a library. Floor to ceiling shelves = heaven. I'm old fashioned and proud of it.

*Waves: I arrived early for a really fun session at Montrose Harbor and Beach this morning. The lake was choppy, and when I closed my eyes, the waves sounded like the ocean. A perfect way to start the day and end the week.


1 comment:

Medge said...

OOOHHHH! I LOVE the photo at the end of your comments. I may have to have an enlargement made for my Chicago apartment!

Medge