Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Social Network

One question most brides ask me during our initial consultation is "What happens if there's an emergency and you can't shoot our wedding after all?" Ugh. I always get instant nausea and that "I'm going to pass out" kind of ringing in my ears with that one. I hate that question. Not because it's not absolutely valid (although I can't remember if I had the clarity to ask our own wedding photographers the same question back in the day...oops), but because it scares the crap out of me. It would have to be such a bad emergency for either me and/or Mike to not shoot a wedding that I shudder to even think about it. We're talking life and death, people, not just a tummy ache. I'm serious. Mike and I love shooting weddings. The formal details, the sincere emotion...and the important task of capturing one of the biggest days in two people's lives for all posterity. There's a massive responsibility there, and before we can have a blast snapping romantic photos of a happy bride and groom, the big "what if" must be addressed. This is where the Type A planning skills that I have carefully honed over six years as an advertising account executive come into play. (And some of you thought it was just six raucous years of Don Draper type shenanigans.) Over the past few years, Mike and I have networked with several area photographers who have similar styles and price points. In times of emergency, these very talented and trusted people would have our backs, as we would have theirs. In the meantime and in the absence of emergency, they have become our friends. As our wedding business continues to grow, so must our professional social network. So, in the spirit of making more friends and having a little fun in between emergency needs that will hopefully never happen, Mike and I are throwing yet another party. I know. And right on the heels of our first ever dinner party last Friday, you say. (It was a big hit, by the way. I could barely sleep later that night, I felt so excited and adult.) We're out of control par-tay animals. The dozen or so photographers who are coming over tonight are so talented, they blow me away. They each have such unique perspectives and styles. Not to mention, they all sound super fun from their website profiles. I kind of wish they could take our pictures. Not that I am about to don my wedding gown, five years after the fact, for a freakishly belated trash-the-dress session. But you know what I mean.

Gold Stars this week go to:
*My New Photographer BFFs: So excited for party number 2!

*Doggie Solidarity: One of my clients this week jokingly told me that sometimes she thinks it's easier being a mom to her 6-month old than to her dog! Love it! It gave me hope for my own future. I didn't get to meet said dog, as he was at Tucker Pups playing out some energy at daycare (sound familiar?), but can vouch that the baby was one of the easiest little clients I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Stay tuned for her adorable sneak peek!

*The Bus Driver Who Saved My Bum: It was cold and I was in an unfamiliar part of town. After running my errands, I finally got back on the bus, and....uh-oh. My fare card was empty. And I didn't have any small bills to feed into the fare machine. I gave the bus driver my best "oh please don't throw me off this bus and leave me stranded" look, and it actually worked! She took pity on me and gave me a free ride home. Now there has to be some good karma coming her way!

3 comments:

Medge said...

You're so funny. Have fun tonight!

Medge

Megan said...

Can't wait to hear how your party went. I'm sure it was a fantastic time!

Jen said...

The party was incredible! We met some of the coolest photographers in the city. We all had a blast talking shop, swapping war stories and getting to know one another. Mike and I are still riding off the high of it!