Thursday, March 31, 2011

Happy Birthday, Husband!

One of the first birthdays I celebrated with Mike, I helped to balloon his car. We were in high school and, at the time, he was driving a Ford Festiva. That's right, folks...an ity bity clown car for a big, tall guy like Mike. It was just begging to be messed with. When Mike walked out of class at the end of the day, there was the Festiva...stuffed full of birthday balloons. Hey, it was easier than flipping it. It only took, like, maybe a dozen balloons to fill it up completely. But our little gang of friends got a big kick out of it. And, in spite of himself, I think Mike did, too.

It's hard to believe that as of today, I have known Mike literally half of my life. It's incredible to stop and consider how much our relationship has evolved since that faithful day in the Central Catholic High School parking lot. We've celebrated many birthdays together since then: as "just friends," high school sweethearts, a "long distance" college couple, an engaged couple living in Detroit and as husband and wife here in Chicago. We've celebrated with family and friends, at concerts, with massive cookie cakes and gag gifts, on the beach in Hilton Head and, this year, with a blow out weekend in Vegas.

All of this reminiscing is probably not helping with Mike's anxiety about turning the big 3-0 and leaving his 20s behind. But I just can't help it. He's one heck of a catch, and not being sappy on his birthday is just not an option. I can't wait until tomorrow, when I can officially say that I've known Mike for more than half of my life, and am already looking forward to celebrating many more birthdays together.

Happy Birthday, Husband! You're my gold star this week, as you have been every single day for the past 15 years.

6 comments:

Jeff and Susan Langner said...

LOVE this! Nicely done, Jen. This picture truly captures young love between two scrawny (but lovely!) high school sweethearts. And it also brings me back to the day of innocent pranks and carefree laughs. Thanks for sharing this. And happy birthday to Mike - he's a great friend, and we miss you both so much!

Mike said...

WOW - crazy to see that photo again. VERY glad that I left my "frontal flap" haircut back in my teens! Also - what was that "B/B" on the side of the Fiestiva!?!

I'm not thrilled about turning Thirty, but having you be such a part of my life all these years is the real "gold star."

Thanks Kiddo

Medge said...

How young you both look! You sure have come a long way since then. Mike has matured into a very handsome young man, even at 30! (Kidding!)Even the Festiva has been reborn as the Fiesta, right?
Happy Birthday, Mike!

Medge

Anonymous said...

Classic shot!

Kevin

Megan said...

That's wonderful. Both the picture and the explanation are perfectly funny and sappy. Congrats to you both for such a wonderful 15 years and happy second 29th to Mike!

Becky said...

While Mike's hair is distracting, I can't get over Jenny's M.C. Hammer like pants. Nice! hahaha! Didn't you also get Mike a singing and dancing stuffed chicken that year? Oh the memories :)