Friday, September 16, 2011

5 Years

Five years ago today, I couldn't stop smiling. I donned a satin gown with box pleats and a veil reminiscent of Maria Von Trap's and clutched my Dad's arm as he led me down the aisle in St. John's Church towards an equally smiley Mike. My Mike, who I had always known was the man I would share my life with. I was so excited (and Dad was so nervously convinced the organist was playing Pachelbel's Canon too fast and that we would run out of music!) that we practically ran down the aisle. Five years ago today, we exchanged rings and made promises in front of family and friends, some of whom are sadly no longer with us. We tried (and failed) not to laugh too much over the inappropriate sermon given by our grumpy priest or about the fact that my veil went flying off as we joyfully walked back down the aisle, as husband and wife, to a blasting organ and flurry of church bells. There was a moment at the start of our reception, when the sun was setting over the golf course, that I will never forget. The sky turned an amazing shade of pink...the very color my Gram was always trying to get me to wear. She had pushed it so much that it had become a family joke. As Mike and I posed for a kiss under that flaming pink sky, we knew without a doubt she was smiling down on us. Five years ago, we danced our first dance to Nick Drake's "Northern Sky," which seemed to perfectly embody the tone of the evening. It was magic.

Our wedding photographers were the fun, friendly and extremely talented Genevieve and James Nisly of Geneveieve Nisly Photography in Canton, Ohio. Even in 2006, before JSP was even a twinkle in my eye, Mike and I were extremely picky about photography and Genevieve and James were an amazing team. We loved how they treated us like friends rather than clients and thought there was something especially sweet in the fact that they were husband and wife. I remember thinking, "Holy crap, how do you get such an amazing job?!"

I love you, Mike. Happy 5 year anniversary and here's to 95 more. And Happy Birthday, Gram! We love and miss you so much.









































3 comments:

Becky said...

This is the second week in a row that your Friday posts have made me tear up!!! I remember your wedding day like it was yesterday...especially the part when I stumble over my reading and start to nervously cackle :)

Mike said...

Happy Anniverary Jenny! I LOVED looking through these photos again.

I remembered you telling Genevieve "no kissing photos!" Of course five years later the only three she took ended up on the your blog!

It was a wonderful day, and its neat to see our wedding from the other side of the camera!
Love you! Mike

Neda B. said...

Love you both so much and absolutely loved looking at your beautiful wedding pics!!!! Like Jen said- here's to 95 more!!! :)