Friday, January 21, 2011

Gold Stars of the Week

I struggled with setting a New Year's resolution this year. It wasn't that I couldn't think of anything to improve...God knows the list was as long as it always is with the good old standbys (hit the gym more, eat healthier, watch my language, find balance...you know the drill). The hesitation instead came from the fact that I am wary to get happy again. Mike and I have had a rough few years. Too much change too fast - some good, some very bad, all of it just plain overwhelming - and not enough time to let it all sink in before the next shoe dropped. I know, I know...that's life. But none-the-less, I'm a little scared of the contentment that has been sweeping over me, like it or not, this year so far.

The disbelief that I am actually a full time photographer is wearing off and I'm rediscovering, albeit latently and with a big "well, no kidding," just how much I absolutely love what I do. I love working from home and planning my own schedule. Meeting clients during the week for shoots has become a bonus, like hanging out with old friends. I love editing on my own time, not just from 8PM to midnight like I used to have to, and treating myself occasionally to working at a coffee shop so that I can feel cooler than I really am and "part of it." I love being able to go outside during the day, to take the dog on walks. I can now at least attempt to keep up with the laundry and actually cook (when I want to, which, let's not lie, is infrequently. Nuking an easy Hot Pocket still wins most days over actually preparing something fresh for lunch. Or dinner.) I always hated not being able to do these simple things when I worked my 9-5, and this new gig has really shone the spotlight on just how good I have it.

To honor that new found appreciation and in an effort to keep positive, every Friday I've decided to reflect on the top three standout moments from my week. And you can feel free to leave little comments, dear readers, because it totally rocks my world every time you do. Disclaimer: these entries won't be perfect (sorry Mom!), they will most likely be completely frivolous (this week I took great pleasure in the latest installment of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. No joke. It almost made the list. Don't judge.) and they most likely won't change lives. Except maybe mine.

When my Dad was a little kid in school, the nuns would give their students gold stars for good accomplishments and black dots for misdemeanors. Being a true Soares, of course Dad always had more black dots than gold stars. But I will do my best to concentrate on the stars and, in a very unJen, zen move, let go of as many black dots as possible. So, here goes, this week's gold stars:

*Doggie Day Care at Urban Pooch: On Monday, I was able to drop Dorey off at 11AM, meet a friend for a delectable lunch at Leo's Coney Island, make a long overdue dentist appointment, pick up 4 new shirts at the Gap 40% off one day sale, hit the gym and finish the day's editing all without having to worry that Dorey was barking or getting into trouble by herself at home. Huge score

*Mike's Schedule Sucking Less: Since the holiday, he's been in class after work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays with a half day session on Saturdays. And this week, he decided to throw in a business trip to GA, just for kicks. Tonight's the first Friday night he gets to come home straight after work, and I for one am pumped. Not that we have plans to do anything more exciting than maybe order in a pizza and watch whatever bad movie is on TV...but that's quality time, in my book

*Frivolous Flowers: I picked up these awesome Gerber Daisy's at Whole Foods yesterday on the way home from the gym. They are so colorful they look fake. Not sure how long they will last (I am actually surprised they lived through the long walk home in the cold) but I'll enjoy them while they do

Happy weekend, everybody!


5 comments:

Neda B. said...

Hey Jen!! I love this idea!! I will look forward to your Friday posts (and all of your other ones). And I love your list for this week...cheers to a happy Dorey w/ more time for you, more QT with Mike and beautiful fresh flowers! I love Gerberas too- I try to buy flowers as often as possible...it really does make you so happy! And overall- I'm so happy that you have this new schedule- you deserve to be happy!!! Have a great weekend!

Jen said...

You're the best, Neda! Thanks for the comment...it made my day.

Christine said...

Where do you work out? I am training for my first-ever 5K in April. We could train together!

Love the Friday post!

Jen said...

Oh good for you, Christine! That's so exciting. I belong to XSport Fitness and go to the gym on Lincoln and School in Lakeview? What about you?

Sara said...

Friend! I am so behind on my google reader so I'm a bit late to the game, but whatever. I love this idea! AND it makes me so happy to hear you so happy. EMBRACE IT!