Monday, September 20, 2010

Flowers by Stem

A few months ago, while taking photos of her two beautiful daughters, a client of mine let it slip that she runs a wonderful floral business, Flowers by Stem, here in Chicago. I asked Stephanie to see some of her work and just really fell in love with her website. All you brides out there, check it out! http://flowersbystem.com/

I've never had the chance to work a wedding with Stephanie, and can't claim credit for the sample photo she provided below, but think her work is truly inspired. Not to mention Stephanie is just a joy to be around!

Case in point...I did a little Q&A with Stephanie so you could witness her passion for her business for yourself. I just love her story and know you will, too!

How did you start your business?
My husband and I moved from Chicago, where I had been working in advertising, to Charleston, SC for him to attend graduate school for architecture. I assumed it would be no problem to find an advertising job in Charleston, but I was mistaken! To make ends meet, I was working three part time jobs when I fortuitously met the owner of the most prestigious flower design shop in the city. Being from Chicago himself, the owner took pity on me and hired me on as a marketing consultant/designer in training. I absolutely fell in love with flower design, and by the end of the year, I was a full time designer! Upon my return to Chicago, I began doing flowers for friend's events, which rippled out to friends of friends, and finally now I have the pleasure of working with brides and event hosts all around the city.

What is your favorite flower? Why?
What a loaded question! It's like Sophie's Choice - OK, maybe I'm being over dramatic. If I had to choose my favorite flower it would be a white cymbidium orchid with a rose-tinted throat. Elegant, modern and beautiful.

How would you describe your signature style?
I love working with the flowers of the season, and I try to keep things simple. My style tends towards the modern meets romantic!

What is your favorite part of the job?
Creating beautiful work that is used to celebrate something meaningful. To think that my flowers are used during some of the most important days in a person's life (their wedding, their baby shower, their 50th wedding anniversary) makes me feel very honored.

What is your biggest goal for 2011?
To continue to grow my business, to continue to push my creative designs, and to continue working with amazing, creative, fun brides and event hosts. It is my honor to be a part of their biggest days, if only through petals and stems!

1 comment:

donna kevil said...

When our daughter was planning her wedding last year we had the honor of planning the flowers with Stephanie.I cannot begin to tell you how beautifully she navigates the process which before we met with her seemed to be a daunting task with so many choices and decisions.Stephanie asked Meaghan what she wanted,what her favorite flowers were,what she envisioned and in a short amount of time came up with the most wonderful ideas...as if she was in our heads and read our minds.She knows the business and she knows her bride before she makes even the tiniest suggestion.SHE KNOWS HER BRIDE..you do not get that at a floral shop. Stephanies arrangements are personal and when you look at them you see the little things that meant the most to you. Meaghan wanted "monkey tail",pretty much her only request and every arrangement included that whimsical stem. Unfortuneatly we were not able to use Stephanie as she had some pregnancy problems that kept her on bedrest.She was professional and honest enough to tell us in advance and work with the florist we found and we used all of her ideas.If it weren't for her continued help our flowers would have been "Flower Shop"instead they were as exquisite and truly designed from the heart as she is so very passionate about her work. I have seen her work many times and they amaze me each and everytime.If Stephanie can create gorgeous flowers from bed just think how lucky you would be to have her personally put them together herself. Calling Stephanie will make your planning a breeze. CALL HER!!!!